Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hope Chest


I made my first official purchase for our child(ren) in Rwanda earlier this week. It is nothing big, just a small stuffed elephant, but with that purchase came a change in thinking for me. I WILL ENJOY this waiting period. I will take this time and think about these children, prepare for them in hopeful anticipation, not anxious impatience. With that, I have decided to created a Hope chest for them, and purchase for each of them one item every month that we wait until our meeting. It may be a special book or toy, or even a cute outfit I see, but I want to focus my energy on believing in their homecoming instead of doubting. And if we end up with only one referral at the end of this process, then that only means that the Hope chest will have a longer time to fill up before we bring the other one home. I hope it will serve as a visual reminder to our kids (especially Asher) that their brother and sister will be coming home soon. Now, I just have to buy the actual chest...

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think that is perfect to help make the wait more of hope than anxiety. We are hoping to bring home two as well. I may steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! i like when you say "believing in their homecoming instead of doubting." That's where I need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great attitude! It really does help in the wait if you can actively 'hope'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea...I might steal it once we get to that point. We live in MPLS and will be at the Summit too!

    Fellow adoptive mom from Rwanda

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to the above comments. Hope instead of doubt...Good! Love the idea and might steal it...yep that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh-- maybe we could have a girls night and MAKE a Hope chest, and decorate it or something. That would be AWESOME! (Annie Hardy)

    ReplyDelete